Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Assignment #3

Homemade Soccer Balls

Skinny black boys running
Hoping, Wishing, Dreaming
Of one day escaping
This prison called a refugee camp.

Kicking a soccer ball
Made from old plastic bags and clothing.
They are all dreaming of one day glorifying
The desert nation and people of Somalia.

They are forever trying to escape.
Escape from the Duksi (religious school)
Escape from the school
Escape from Kakumo (refugee camp)
Escape from Somalia
Escape from Famine, Poverty, and War.

They are me
And I am them.
I live because so many have died.
I am the embodiment of hope.






Trenches

My feet are dry, my feet are cracked
My feet are wet, my feet stink
Rats and trench feet
They go together
Like ware and death.

I used to have normal feet
Before the dammed war started.
I sold my shoes
For extra rations
So now I march without shoes.
March, March, and March.

My mom would be shocked
If she saw my feet.
But I am a soldier
So I must continue marching.
So onwards I march, march, march.

2 comments:

Cory said...

HomeMade Soccer Balls
I thought it was really deep it meant alot to hear about how it was. I thought the second line was the strongest and had was good to me. kicking soccer balls could be maybe said diffrently.
I liked the first one it really appealed to em and was a good poem all around.

Both of your poems are really deep and i like that about your writing. So now i mkarch without shoes really stuck out to me. Like ware and death really said alot.

pats blog said...

this sounds like something id see on a poster with the writer's picture on it. meaningful and it sounds professional. it shows that you dont have to be a "poet" to make great poetry